POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : png gamma error : Re: png gamma error Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: png gamma error
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 25 Sep 2001 04:34:22
Message: <3BB041E4.76733B14@sycomore.fr>
"Bob H." wrote:

> Don't know, but looking at the last line of the last paragraph of section
> 5.2.2.2 in the doc I see it says newer hardware could use Display_Gamma 1.0.

Most card drivers allow you to change the gamma to any
value you want. So you can work at gamma 1.0. OTOH, lots
of people will then complain about your images. IIRC,
Fabien Mosen told me he worked at a gamma around 1.7.

> Having tried that just now since I have the ATI mobility 128, which must
> certainly have gamma correction of some sort, and putting assumed_gamma 1.0
> as recommended I get a perfectly good rendering.

But what was your Display_Gamma?

> kept thinking display gamma had to be set manually by using the graphic
> supplied in the doc.

Definitely yes.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs